Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ailene Hartz: Makes Everything Crystal Clear


Because of the type of leadership skills I have, I did not ever see myself working for someone else. I had to spearhead my own vision, Ailene Hartz, co-owner with James Davis of Crystal Clear Services in Grandview, says with assurance.
Born and raised in the picturesque island of Barbados, Ailene wanted to be a nurse from the time she was quite young. But when her cousin cut himself badly one day when she was ten, and her knees grew weak at the sight of blood, she knew nursing was not her calling. In high school she was involved in the fashion design industry, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

Ailene was one of ten applicants chosen out of over two hundred as an exchange student to Grandview High School. Being a person who loves to travel, during her year at Grandview she visited New York, Boston, and Florida. I found the Midwest to be the most friendly and relaxing.

Back in Barbados after her exchange year, she was an apprentice to a well- known fashion designer. Crop Over Festivals are the most popular and colorful summer festival in Barbados, with origins back to the 1780s. There are many festivities and competitions, including one for king and queen of the entire extravaganza. When I was an apprentice I had the opportunity to help design the queens costume, at the university level. That design was the winning costume.

In 1993 she returned to the United States for the high school graduation of the youngest daughter of her exchange host family. I began exploring my options and stayed on. Also, her host sister introduced her to her future husband. Ailene's parents and two brothers live in Barbados.

She discovered that her plan to attend college in the US was more difficult than she had hoped. She worked for a local janitorial service for three years. Much of that time was behind a desk, not the favorite place for a person who calls herself adventurous.

In 1997, Ailene knew the best way she could treat both employees and clients with respect, as she was raised, was to start her own business. Also, because she has a business partner, she could concentrate on sales, marketing and networking, leaving operations management to him.  "I like to be out meeting people."

Crystal Clear Services is the flagship of three related companies.  Crystal Clear, JSI, and Extra Hands provide customized commercial janitorial services and supplies, in addition to temporary housekeeping staff to hospitals. Their high tech system appeals greatly to people who are budget-conscious.

It was a wise move from day one. "When I worked for the other company, I used to clean the Grandview Police Department. When I left the company, naturally I stopped cleaning for GVPD. Their quality of service went down immediately.  One of the police captains called and asked if we could help them out until the job went out for bid. We won the award. Next, two other companies that were using the previous company called. They became contract number two and three. I never contacted any previous clients."

Crystal Clear celebrated fourteen successful years on October 6, 2011. Innovation, diversification including the temp services and housekeeping training for organizations, and commitment to customer service has contributed to their business growth through the recent tough economy.

In business and out, this attractive single mom lives her philosophy of treating people as she desires to be treated.  Her advice to new business owners is,  "Above all, love what you do. Next, pay attention to customers' needs and always respond in a timely manner to your customers' requests. We treat every call as an emergency. No matter what it is, it's important to the person who made that call."

After a life-threatening illness several years ago, Ailene lives the reality of knowing that life is, "too short to be mean, grumpy or miserable. Everyone should follow their dreams. I tell my employees, life is too short to stay in a job you are unhappy with. Go find another job. Even if it pays less. If you are happy doing what you're doing, you have fulfillment regardless of the payment." 

With eyes that laugh when she talks about life, her daughter, her strong faith, and even her business, she adds, "I love the janitorial business. I meet people from all walks of life. I've never wanted to quit because I love what I do. I'm not saying there are no rough moments. That will always be. You just have to work through them. I heard a saying once. 'Skillful sailors are not made on smooth seas.'"

When you're considering services that the Crystal Clear group offers that needs to fit your budget, contact Ailene Hartz and James Davis.  You will be more than satisfied with your decision to participate in Ailenes vision of exceptional quality service. Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does this story remind you of? Briefly share their story why they inspire you.