Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Christine Gregory: One dream leads to the next


“I never imagined I’d be working with shelters and hosting pet adoptions,” reflects beautiful Christine Gregory, owner of Queen of Paws at Trendz in Leawood, Kansas, has a fulfilled life behind her. “I studied ballet, tap and jazz from age four. My dream was to be a ballerina.

“At fourteen I developed orthopedic challenges with my legs. I was told I should quit or be crippled by the time I was old. I didn’t quit, which is why I am suffering today. I minored in dance in college and danced with the KU (University of Kansas) Dance Company. Dance was my love. It’s a way of expressing myself.

“Mom got me into Greek Folk Dancing. Before I was born and after, she held me and danced to Greek music.  It’s in my blood. Twenty-five years ago I was asked to head the dance team at my church, St. Dionysios Greek Orthodox Church. I enjoy teaching and directing everybody to perform the dances I choreograph. After an event I am happy and proud of everybody. Dad has ten siblings. But I was the first on the Gregory side to dance. I taught all my cousins and their kids. In Greece, Greek dance is part of the physical education curriculum. But here, they don’t learn the dance. I love teaching them.”

Christine’s minor was Dance. She temporarily ended her college career when her dad observed that she was not really that interested in her major, Biology.

But she didn’t stop being busy and productive. “I started doing modeling and got into The Miss America beauty pageants for six years. I liked the pageants because of the glamour. Both dance and the pageants helped me with poise and confidence.”

After the pageants, she was ready to go back to school. “All along I was working in collections, which is still my day job. I was designing jewelry on the side. My degree is in Fashion & Merchandising Design from Johnson County Community College.

“I have had a dream my entire life to meet Baryshnikov or Cher. In 2001, I learned that Baryshnikov was coming to town. I said, I have to meet him. If anything, I am at least going to the after party some way. I called a woman at Leid’s Center in Lawrence, Kansas. She said Baryshnikov would be holding auditions for the production. I said, ‘Well, I am old and I have not done ballet for quite sometime now.’ She reminded me that it doesn’t hurt to audition. I was at home with my dad when I got the call that I made it. We had two weeks of rehearsal for The White Oak Dance Project. At the end of the performance we danced free style. I danced my way up to him. My mom and friends watched and knew exactly what I was doing as I made my way across the stage.”

The Cher dream? The closest she ever came to her was the third row at a concert. “Yes, I have fulfilled my dream.”

Christine’s Shih Tzu, Tashi, passed away in April 2004. “I wanted to carry on her name and started designing Foo Foo Collars that look somewhat like a ballet tu tu. I started a wholesale business called Tashi Tai Treasures, carrying them as well as dog clothes. My mom and I traveled to dog competitions all over the Midwest, selling from a booth. In August of that year I got my Shih Tzu Myko, named after my favorite Greek Island Mykonos; he joined us. We loved it. We did the shows together from 2004 to 2008. Then Mom got sick. I put the business aside because I was so sure she would make it. And then Mom died in 2009. I said I would never do another dog show again without her. That was our thing and it just wouldn’t be the same.

“I walked into a boutique one day to pass the time, and the girl there said, ‘You look like you shop at Trendz.’ I had never heard of it. I visited Trendz and thought, Oh, my gosh, Mom would love this.”  Christine began spending Saturdays at Trendz, glad to have a place to go because she and her mom used to shop every Saturday.

One day someone suggested she open a booth at Trendz. Confused, Christine responded, “A booth with what?”

“With your doggie stuff.”

“They called me to interview on April 26, which was the date Tashi had passed. I thought, I have to go.”

Queen of Paws made its debut at Trendz on May 1, 2010. At Queen of Paws, dog owners find high quality leashes, collars, beds, toys, organic & natural treats, spa products, and bakery fresh treats. Gift items for two legged customers are a favorite, too. Christine and her mom had always wanted a storefront and Christine is confident Mom would agree on Trendz.

“Mom said when she got well we would do support groups together and give hope to people with cancer and their families. I promised I would continue to fight lung cancer.” After much research, Christine discovered Lung Cancer Foundation of America. “I called and told them about my fund raising ideas. The day they flew me out to meet with their board was one year to the day that Mom was diagnosed. I do a lot of charity events for them at the store.

“Through my grieving process I felt the need to give back to the community. I know what Myko has done for me during this difficult time. People don't realize how many ways pets help us. He's really saved me. I feel like it’s my turn to save the animals that can't save themselves.” In February 2011, Christine starting working with kill and non-kill shelters by hosting pet adoptions at her store. The program is called Ruffs to Riches and hosts two to four adoptions each month. “I’ve also become a middle person to help find and place dogs with rescue groups or foster care.”

It’s a journey this woman with a caring heart never imagined. “I never thought I would actually be working for homeless pets. It’s a very rewarding feeling to find homes for them. When one gets adopted the people at Trendz and I cry. A lady from Olathe came in. Her house had burned down. Sonny, a Papillon, was here. She fell in love with him. He loved her, too. She ended up adopting him. Trendz gave her gift cards to help re-build, some shops gave her merchandise. She was a single parent of three daughters and was in treatment through the Mayo Clinic for cancer. It was the best feeling knowing how happy we made her.”

Does she have any future goals related to pets? “To open a Doggie Resort and Spa.”  That’s a treat every pet and their owner is looking forward to.

You don’t have to need a doggie treat or pretty collar to visit Queen of Paws and know your time was well spent. You don’t even need to have a dog or want one.  Christine’s kind demeanor and sincere interest in all Trendz customers will do your heart well. “I have many regular customers who send me pictures of their dogs.”

On November 12, 2011, Queen of Paws is hosting Sniffin’ & Struttin’, a combination Fashion Show & Pet Adoption, to benefit Heartland SPCA. Only shelter dogs will be brought in who will be available for adoption.

Naturally, she has an ongoing program to help fund lung cancer research. Bark for all Cures is a black tank top for dogs and humans alike, whose logo is exclusive to Queen of Paws. Ten Dollars from each sale helps fund lung cancer research. On November 17, 2011, Queen of Paws is hosting the first annual “Bling, Breathe & Believe” event to spread awareness and raise funds for lung cancer research at Trendz. “It’s in honor of Mom. Bling is my mom.”

Queen of Paws FaceBook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does this story remind you of? Briefly share their story why they inspire you.